by Tony West
The 2016 GMC Terrain and 2016 Terrain Denali will debut to the public at the 2015 New York International Auto Show.
The 2016 Terrain lineup features new front and rear fascias, new grille designs, a power dome hood, LED daytime running lamps and more. For the first time, Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert are offered on SLE and SLT models.
The 2016 Terrain seats five, with all-wheel drive offered on SLE, SLT and Denali models. Its interior – with the GM-exclusive MultiFlex sliding rear seat – offers 31.6 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seat and 63.9 cubic feet with the rear seat folded.
Terrain also offers a programmable power liftgate (standard on Denali, available on SLT), with a memory function that stops the liftgate at a chosen height to help shorter drivers or accommodate low garage heights.
The standard Ecotec 2.4L direct-injected engine delivers an EPA-estimated 32 mpg on the highway (FWD models). A direct-injected 3.6L V-6 delivers best-in-class 301 horsepower and 272 lb-ft of torque. The V-6 engine also enables a trailering capacity of up to 3,500 pounds
Available GMC IntelliLink offers OnStar with 4G LTE connectivity and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot. It provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the car is on and comes with a three-month/3GB data trial (whichever comes first).
In addition to available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features, Terrain offers Rear Park Assist, Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning as part of comprehensive safety packages.
The Terrain Denali offers unique exterior and interior appointments, exclusive wheels and design cues to set it apart from competitors. Dual-flow dampers are exclusive to the Terrain Denali’s suspension system, providing a smoother ride and improved handling by controlling suspension dampening across a broader range of driving conditions.
The wealth of revisions for the 2016 Terrain lineup includes:
- New front and rear fascias with C-shaped lower chrome trim that accentuates the Terrain’s wide stance
- New, chrome-accented grille designs for SLE, SLT and Denali – including specific tri-segment grille texture on Denali
- New power dome hood design
- New LED daytime running lamps on uplevel models
- New 18-inch aluminum wheel design offered on non-Denali models
- New 19-inch aluminum wheel design offered on Denali
- Revised instrument panel “center stack” with new storage shelf and updated control graphics
- Revised model lineup: SL, SLE (SLE-1 and SLE-2), SLT and Denali
- Premium cloth seat fabric now standard on SL and SLE models
- New Saddle Up leather interior available on SLT
- New Light Titanium/Jet Black interior combination offered on Denali
- Front passenger eight-way power-adjustable seat offered on SLT (previously available only on Denali)
- New, chrome-trimmed transmission shifter
- Available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features on SLE and SLT (previous available only on Denali).
- New White Frost Tricoat and Crimson Red Tintcoat premium exterior colors.